SSC 101 Week 3 Discussion 1 Sociology Social Class and Adaptation
Sociology: Social Class and Adaptation. 1st Post Due by Day 3. Read the article by Hodgetts et al. highlighting how social class background affects how people adapt to becoming homeless. In essence, our social class background affects how we can interact with others in a variety of settings. Making explicit use of the sociological perspective discussed in Chapter 1, respond to the following questions:
- How would one’s social class background influence how one adapts to life in one of the following contexts: an elite college or university, a small rural town in the American Midwest, or a nursing home?
- What specific factors of one’s social class background might influence one’s ability to adapt to this environment?
• What sort of social class background would be most conducive to adapting to this context? Why?
• What sort of social class background would be least conducive to adapting to this context? Why?
• How has your own social class background shaped your educational experiences?
• Have you had a hard or easy time adapting to online college life due to your social class background?
Be sure to provide concrete examples from the text and from your own research. Refer to the Social Science Research Guide in the Ashford University Library and search for at least one scholarly article to support your claims using FindIt@AU. Your initial post must be at least 250 words, excluding the question prompt and the references. Please cite your sources in APA format both in-text and in full reference citations at the end of the post.
Guided Response: Respond to at least two classmates’ initial posts by Day 7. Your response must include your own understanding of social class background and whether you agree with your peer’s response and why. Posts must be at least 75 words in length and demonstrate critical thinking, engagement with course material, and represent a meaningful attempt to engage in discourse.