GED 240 Unit 3 Exam Art History (CCU)
Multiple Choice Questions (Enter your answers on the enclosed answer sheet)
1. Who introduced the term Gothic?
a. Michelangelo Buonarroti
b. Giorgio Vasari
2. What was Gothic architecture called in its own time?
3. Which two new religious orders served the urban populations?
a. the Augustinians and the Benedictines
b. the Cluniacs and the Cistercians
c. the Franciscans and the Dominicans
d. the Jesuits and the Trappists
4. Which of the following is the first Gothic building?
a. Notre Dame, Paris
b. Church of Saint-Denis
c. Chartres Cathedral
d. Salisbury Cathedral
5. Which one individual is most responsible for originating Gothic architecture?
a. Saint Denis
b. King Louis XI
c. Saint Louis
d. Abbot Suger
6. Which was an innovation in Gothic architecture?
a. horseshoe arches
b. round arches
c. ribbed groin vaults
d. stained glass windows
7. Which of the following was not among the great early Flemish painters?
a. Jan van Eyck
b. Rogier van der Weyden
c. Robert Campin
d. Paolo Uccello
8. How were medieval and Renaissance women artists most likely to learn their trade if they couldn’t learn from a family member?
c. art academy
9. Two influences on the work of Hugo van der Goes are the work of:
a. Jan van Eyck and Rogier van der Weyden
b. Petrus Christus and the Limbourg brothers
c. Martin Schongauer and Antonio del Pollaiuolo
d. Masaccio and Fra Angelico
10. Which is a process where lines are cut into a plate with a burin and the low areas are printed?
11. From which trade did engraving apparently develop, a trade practiced by Schongauer’s father?
12. Where was the birthplace of the Italian Renaissance?
13. Which four artists define the High Renaissance?
a. Raphael, Leonardo, Michelangelo, and Titian
b. Donatello, Botticelli, Raphael, and Leonardo
c. Donatello, Mantegna, Masaccio, and Michelangelo
d. Raphael, Donatello, Masaccio, and Brunelleschi
14. Which of the following interests of Leonardo occupied much of his time when he worked for the court of the Duke of Milan?
a. military and civil engineer
15. What is the word for strong contrasts of light and dark on an object?
c. trompe l’oeil
16. Which is the term for the effect in painting of softer or smoky edges?
17. Which artist’s influence is particularly strong in the work of Raphael?
18. Which is the term for a painting or drawing used as a model or pattern for another work?
19. Which is true of the subject of the pietà?
a. Michelangelo’s is the first one.
b. It was common in Northern Europe.
c. It was common in Italy.
d. Michelangelo’s is the only one.
20. Which of the following best describes Mesoamerican society?
a. sharply divided class structure
21. Which ancient Americans made the most accurate calendar?
22. What is the crest on the top of a Mayan temple called?
b. Roof comb
23. Which of the following was the largest city in the Americas?
a. Chichén Itzá
d. Machu Picchu
24. Which figure is represented on the Temple of the Feathered Serpent with a square, stylized head, protruding upper jaw, huge, round eyes (originally inlaid with obsidian), and large, circular earspools?
b. Corn god
c. Tobacco god
d. Storm god
25. When the Aztecs saw an eagle perching on a prickly pear cactus, what did it mean to them?
a. A human sacrifice was required.
b. They should settle there.
c. It foretold military success.
d. The sun setting on the earth.
Unit 3 Examination 130 GED 240 Art History
Writing Assignment for Unit Three
3. Describe the typical characteristics of Mannerism and explain in what ways these characteristics appear, or do not appear, in Pontormo’s work.